Friday, August 30, 2013

Women's Chore

 My 8th grade darling Autumn is smart, beautiful, and full of imagination.  I know she will go far in life and I love her to pieces!

That being said, she has some academic struggles.  She is blessed with a mild form of Autism known as PDD-NOS, which makes her excel in alot of ways, but also brings challenges.  Reading is one of those challenges.  She's been fortunate to receive extra help through the school district for many years.  Last year they had her take "Reading Explorers" or something like that, in the place of an elective....so I fully expected the academic help to continue this year.  So I picked out her electives- art and band, listed her runner up elective selections, checked the remedial reading help box for her third elective and thought that was that.  

The first day of school comes and goes.  My angel comes home from school.  She smiles with that gorgeous shy Autumn smile I love, and then I ask her how her day was in my over the top enthusiastic fashion.  

Shyly, she tells me it was great....except she's in "Women's Chore" and she doesn't know why.  She goes on to tell me she still has Art and Band, but for some reason is in "Chore."

Confused, I grab her schedule and look.  Women's chore?  Home Economics maybe??    
no...  CHOIR!!  She's in women's choir!  And her Reading Explorer help class is mysteriously missing.  

I call the school to inquire why she's in choir and not getting the extra academic help any longer.

The counselor advises me since she passed the standardized tests for reading and writing she no longer qualifies for the class or needs it, so they used my alternative elective selection.  

I told her, "Well that explains why Autumn told me she's in Women's Chore."

"Women's Chore??"

"Yes, chore.  Also known as choir.  But she passed the State's standards on reading, so she should totally focus on something else like learning to sing in Women's Chore class."  I laughed.

I don't think the counselor was amused.  

No comments:

Post a Comment